Let's celebrate the start of fall with pumpkins! Pumpkins are not only for carving scary jack-o-lanterns, making scrumptious pumpkin pies, soups or spiced lattes. They also have amazing health benefits AND beauty benefits too!
Pumpkins originated 10,000 years ago from Mexico. They are made up of 90% water! A pumpkin, from a botanist's perspective, is considered a fruit because it's a product of the seed-bearing structure of flowering plants.
6 Pumpkin Beauty Benefits:
~when topically applied~
01. Vitamin C: Pumpkin is a good source of vitamin C, which helps protect skin from free radical damage, such as wrinkles and even skin cancer. Eating vitamin C rich foods also helps boost collagen production, which over time can improve skin tone and elasticity.
02. Antioxidants: Alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and other carotenoids are the protective antioxidants that are also responsible for giving pumpkins their bright orange hue. Eating foods that are a good source of carotenoids can help to reverse UV damage and improve skin texture.
03. Minerals: Potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, and iron are just a few of the minerals found in pumpkin. Pumpkins are also rich in copper and zinc, which play a big part in healthy skin and hair. Zinc helps promote healthy skin growth, protect cell membranes, maintain collagen, fight acne, reduce redness and irritation.
04. B Vitamins: Pumpkin is a good source of most of the B vitamins, including niacin, riboflavin, B6 and folate. Niacin helps treat acne and improve circulation. Folate also helps to improve circulation, which increases cell turn over and renewal.
05. Enzymes: Naturally and gently exfoliates skin with AHAs to increase cell turnover, to brighten and smooth skin. In turn, helps make products such as serums & moisturizers more effective in penetrating the skin.
06. Amino Acids: Fights visible signs of aging, refines skin tone and texture.
“Pumpkin is made up of alpha hydroxy acids (similar to glycolic acid and lactic acid), which are fruit acids that slough dead skin cells, increase cell turnover and keep the skin glowing,” explains Lily Talakoub, M.D., dermatologist at McLean Dermatology and Skincare Center. “Pumpkin also has the added benefit of containing beta-carotene, a vitamin A-derivative that decreases wrinkles, helps slough brown spots and can help reverse UV damage.” Zinc is also plentiful in pumpkin, which Dr. Talakoub calls “nature’s best healing agent,” for its acne-preventing and skin-healing abilities.
For a limited time this fall you can try our Organic Pumpkin Peel Facial. This is a great post-summer treatment that will help hydrate and brighten your skin.
Features & Benefits
Exfoliates skin without irritation.
Infuses the skin with active vitamins and bioflavonoids.
Deeply hydrates and plumps the skin.
Wrinkle depth is reduced and fine lines faded.
Stimulates collagen production.
Refines and evens skin tone and assists with hyper-pigmentation.
Antioxidant and age-defying benefits.
This facial is recommended for all skin types EXCEPT those with active acne or super sensitive skin.